From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Oslo Domkirke)
Jump to navigationJump to searchOslo CathedralNorwegian: Oslo domkirkeOslo Cathedral from StortorvetLocationOsloCountryNorwayDenominationChurch of NorwayWebsitewww.oslodomkirke.noHistoryFormer name(s)Our Saviour's ChurchStatusActiveFounded1694ArchitectureFunctional statusCathedralYears built1694-1697Completed1697SpecificationsNumber of spires1AdministrationParishOsloDioceseOsloClergyBishop(s)Kari VeitebergDeanAnne-May GrasaasPriest in chargeElisabeth ThorsenPriest(s)Valborg Orset Stene
Jonas Lind AaseDeacon(s)Maria HalldénLaityOrganist(s)Kåre Nordstoga
Marcus André Berg
Vivianne SydnesVergerRoger HegerstrømMusic group(s)Oslo domkirkes Guttekor
Oslo domkirkes Ungdomskor
Oslo Cathedral (Norwegian: Oslo domkirke) — formerly Our Savior's Church (Norwegian: Vår Frelsers kirke) — is the main church for the Church of Norway Diocese of Oslo, as well as the parish church for downtown Oslo. The present building dates from 1694-1697.
The current Oslo Cathedral is the third cathedral in Oslo, Norway. The first, Hallvards Cathedral, was built by King Sigurd I of Norway in the first half of the 12th century, and was located by the Old Bishop's Palace in Oslo, some 1.5 kilometres (0.93 mi) east of today's cathedral.
For almost 500 years, Hallvards Cathedral was the most important church in the city. After a great fire in Oslo during 1624, King Christian IV decided to move the city a few kilometers west to be protected by Akershus Fortress. Construction of a new church was begun in 1632, on the main square in the new city. After that, Hallvards Cathedral fell into disrepair and decayed.
In 1639 the second cathedral was built (Hellig Trefoldighet). This cathedral burnt down after only 50 years, however, and the current cathedral was built to replace it. The church was probably designed by Jørgen Wiggers, the Councillor of the State (etatsråd). The current cathedral was erected on a small rocky outcrop in the east end of what would later become Stortorvet. The foundation stone was laid in 1694 and the church was consecrated in November 1697.
In 2001 Oslo Cathedral was the site of the wedding of Haakon, Crown Prince of Norway, and Mette-Marit Tjessem Høiby.
Stained glass window
The Cathedral was rebuilt between 1848-1850 after a plan by German-born architect, Alexis de Chateauneuf (1799-1853). Another German-born architect, Heinrich Ernst Schirmer (1814-1887) was the construction manager for the project. When Chateauneuf became ill in 1850, Schirmer retained Wilhelm von Hanno (1826-1882) to complete the project.
Oslo Cathedral is located at Stortorvet square north/north-east of Karl Johans gate, between Kirke gate and Dronningens gate. The Cathedral's lower end is surrounded by the Bazaar(Basarene ved Oslo domkirke), a curved long building with a tower covered in green copper like the Cathedral. Integrated with Basarene is the Fire Watch (Brannvakten) which served as Oslo's main fire station from 1860 until 1939, when today's main fire station at Arne Garborgs plass was opened. The Cathedral, Basarene and Brannvakten are all built in red brick. Both Basarene and Brannvakten were built between the years 1840-1859 from the plans of City Architect, Christian H. Grosch.
Art works from recent times in the cathedral include stained glass windows in the choir by Emanuel Vigeland installed between 1910–16, west portal's bronze doors executed by Dagfin Werenskiold (1892-1977) in 1938, and the silver sculpture with communion scene by Italian sculptor Arrigo Minerbi dating from 1930. The ceiling decorations are by Norwegian painter Hugo Lous Mohr (1889-1970). In the latter half of the 1990s, the main organ built by Ryde & Berg of Fredrikstad, was mounted behind the old baroque facade.
Restoration was completed at the time of the city's 900 anniversary in 1950. The church was restored under the plans of architect Arnstein Arneberg. The neo-Gothic interior was removed and the original furnishings brought back. Arneberg also designed the chapel on the south side of the church. The church was closed in August 2006 for renovation and was opened in April 2010 in the presence of Harald V of Norway and the Norwegian royal family.
1541–1545 Hans Rev
1545–1548 Anders Madssøn
1548–1580 Frants Berg
1580–1600 Jens Nilssøn
1601–1607 Anders Bendssøn Dall
1607–1617 Niels Claussøn Senning
1617–1639 Niels Simonsen Glostrup
1646–1664 Henning Stockfleth
1664–1699 Hans Rosing
1699–1712 Hans Munch
1713–1730 Bartholomæus Deichman
1731–1737 Peder Hersleb
1738–1758 Niels Dorph
1758–1773 Frederik Nannestad
1773–1804 Christen Schmidt
1823–1845 Christian Sørensen
1846–1874 Jens Lauritz Arup
1875–1893 Carl Peter Parelius Essendrop
1896–1912 Anton Christian Bang
1912–1922 Jens Frølich Tandberg
1937–1951 Eivind Berggrav
1951–1968 Johannes Smemo
1968–1973 Fridtjov Søiland Birkeli
1973–1977 Kaare Støylen
1977–1998 Andreas Aarflot
1998–2005 Gunnar Stålsett
2005– Ole Christian Kvarme
The cathedral's first organ was built in 1711 by Carl Gustav Luckvitz, while the current main organ was built by Jan Ryde in 1997 for the 300-year anniversary. The two smaller organs in the cathedral were also built by Ryde og Berg Orgelbyggeri.
1709–1721 Christian Olsen Rode
1721–1764 Johan Fredrik Clasen
1764–1769 Johan Adolph Pløen
1769–1809 Johan Krøyer
1809–1828 Fredrik Christian Groth
1820–1826 Frederik Christian Lindeman
1828–1840 Jacob Andreas Lindeman
1840–1887 Ludvig Mathias Lindeman
1887–1916 Christian Cappelen
1913–1916 Wilhelm Huus-Hansen
1916–1932 Eyvind Alnæs
1933–1966 Arild Sandvold
1966–1982 Rolf Karlsen
1982– Terje Kvam
1982– Kåre Nordstoga
In 1924 Oslo Cathedral received a donation of 24,000 NOK for a carillon in the belfry, but this was never implemented. In 2003 a second donation, by Ørnulf Myklestad, resulted in a 48-bell concert Carillon under the direction of carilloneur Vegar Sandholt. This carillon is inside the tower not the belfry, and the acoustical problems arising this location have been highlighted a 2005 masters thesis by Laura Rueslåtten.
From December 2016 the Carillon has been in regular use for hour, quarter-strokes and ritornelles, with contributions by Vegar Sandholt and Kåre Nordstoga, programmed and maintained by Brynjar Landmark, and with 18 different melodies between 07.00 and midnight, changing according to the calendar.
(no) Tronshaug, Hans Jacob Oslo domkirkes orgelhistorie : orgler, organister, kantorer og orgelbyggere gjennom fem århundrer [The Organ of the Oslo Cathedral: Organs, Organists, Cantors and Organ Buiiders through Five Centuries] (1998) ISBN 82-994632-0-3
Wikimedia Commons has media related to Oslo Cathedral.
City of Oslo, central part:
In other projects
This page was last edited on 14 January 2019, at 07:46 (UTC).
Source: Wikipedia - Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution - ShareAlike license